Wednesday, December 28, 2011

From the Sketchbook Archives: Face of Darkness

This is from one of my sketchbooks. It was inspired by an image of Randall Flagg from the television miniseries for The Stand. There is a scene where Stu is dreaming of Mother Abigail and Randall Flagg is standing in the corn.  Flagg opens his eyes and they are all red and glowing - VERY Creepy!  I was trying to capture that same feeling that the image from the show gave me - Creepy half light with demon fire within.  Once again I must apologize for the glare.   Heavy sharpie just does not photograph well at all.  :-(

{Sharpie}

UPDATE:

Another update from the Rescans.  This is one that benefits greatly from the rescan.  When photographing the original post, I discovered to my chagrin, that heavy sharpie reflects a flash like polished silver.  No matter what position I placed the image in, I couldn't get a shot without some kind of glare.  Here that issue is completely resolved.  Also, the color on this one is just fantastic.  It looks exactly like the page.  Have I mentioned that I love my scanner?!?

2 comments:

Vincent said...

I think the face photographed well enough to see the fiery glow and sinister smile. The thick neck and muscles also remind me of the creature in The Keep.

Jesse W. Campbell said...

I never thought of that when I was drawing and posting this, but this image is very similar to the monster from The Keep. I need to find myself a copy of that. I've only seen that once when I was very young, but that monster gives me the heebie jeebies.

The lit up eyes also gives me the feeling of Mike Mignola's work. There is something unnerving about a dark creature lit up from within.