Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Featured Creature: Devil's Head

Another horned headed monster this week for the second installment of Featured Creature, but a few more steps towards a darker demonic tone.  Somewhere between a satyr and a werewolf I think.  Once again, the background tone was added in photoshop post scanning to give give the image a little more punch.

{Sharpie and Uni-ball Vision Elite Pen, tone added in Adobe Photoshop}

UPDATE 09.12.12:

I accepted Vincent's Challenge (see comments) and here is the Devil's Head with eyes...some nice creepy Wolfen-gonna-eatcha eyes!  It does make it look less like a mask.  I had the feeling from the moment I drew it that it kind of looked like one of those latex and fake fur Halloween masks.  Now it looks hungry.  eep.

UPDATE 09.13.12:

Never one to leave well enough alone, I decided to take things several steps further and I kept playing with the image in photoshop until I was sufficiently frightened of the visual forming before me.  I hope you are too.  Enjoy Devil's Head part III: Return to Devil's Head!


Vincent said...

It's completely up to you of course but my first impulse was to challenge you to put some eyeballs in those sockets! Don't take me too seriously, I sometimes have impulse control problems : )

Loving the sharp edges here. Looks like this guy could shred anything that touches him.

Jesse W. Campbell said...


Vincent said...

This turned out to be a pretty epic work in progress piece! Love the moonglow in the eyes. It almost seems to pulse and fluctuate. Really brings this beastie to full-fledged "he'll rip your lungs out, Jim" life. Great work : D

Jesse W. Campbell said...

As always, Thanks Vincent!

I'm glad you suggested the eyes. The first version just looks kind of dead and mask-like now. It is kind of cool to see the image slowly slipping into a more solid reality with the three different versions.

I totally agree on the moonglow. I flipped back and forth on that one when I was working on it. In the end it did add that "oh crap what is that in the darkness?!?" quality!

Looking at the last version again, I'm feeling like I need to draw a full body shot of this guy. I bet he does indeed have nasty tear-your-lungs-out claws. hmmm...I'll get back to you on that...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...