Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Featured Creature: Snake Demon

Here we have a raging horned snake demon.  This creepy crawly was created using the Purple / Yellow technique.  At first I was a little trepidatious of adding tones to this piece.  The stark black and white wanted to remain so, but as I began working on it, I tried a bit of hand toning with the airbrush tool in Photoshop and it all made sense.  The more detailed shading added a quality to it that reminded me of graphite drawing. As always, a nod here to the genius of H. R. Giger.


After the tones were finished, I wanted to see what it would look like with a bit of color.  I thought initially to do it in green, but decided instead on the rust of dried blood.  Looking at this just now with the gradients, it reminds me of reminds me of a graphite sketch from one of my art classes in high school.  I'm going to have to see if I can find that to share.  This image is a lot more refined, but the essence is the same: snake/horn/hiss/scream/weird eyes.

{Sharpie with tones and color added in Adobe Photoshop}




 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...