Saturday, March 15, 2014

Saturday Sketch: Classic Soulsword

Here is a second object of power for the Saturday Sketches, the Soulsword.  I hadn't planned on drawing this as a Saturday Sketch or next week's piece either.  However, after missing one Saturday Sketch, I just couldn't bring myself to leave another Saturday empty during the hiatus.  Also, these two pieces were fun to draw.

At the end of the Marvel Comics limited series Magik, Illyana Rasputin uses her magickal abilities to manifest her life force and create her Soulsword.  She immediately uses the sword in her battle against Belasco.  

While doing research for this image, I noticed that within the interior art of the limited series,  Illyana's Soulsword is the only sword that is straight.  All other swords, such as those wielded by Nightcrawler, Shadowcat and Belasco, are all slightly curved.  The only exception being Storm's sheathed blade in issue 3, which she never wields.  I feel like this is a subtle symbol of the corrupting influence of Limbo/Belasco.

{2.5x3.5,  created in Adobe Photoshop}


I claim no copyright for the properties represented in the Saturday Sketches.  All copyrights and trademarks are retained by their respective owners.  I make no money from what I am presenting here.  It is presented for portfolio and appreciation purposes only.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...